The Department is currently made up of the following business groups.
- Service Delivery helps landlords and tenants by giving them advice, handling bonds, and settling any disputes quickly and fairly. We also support owners of leaky homes to get their houses fixed. Our Services Centre in Porirua answers people’s questions about all aspects of our work; and processes bonds and applications for the Tenancy Tribunal, leaky homes services and occupational licensing. People can also get advice or arrange mediation at many locations throughout the country.
- Sector Policy works closely with people in the building and housing sector and other agencies to develop policy advice that will improve building quality and housing availability in New Zealand.
- Building Quality sets standards and gives technical advice and education so homes and buildings are better built, safer and healthier, without needlessly adding to the time and cost of building them. This means working closely with designers, architects and builders, as well as carrying out research on building science. We also offer a service to solve disputes about the rules that apply to buildings.
- Sector Capability works in partnership with the building and housing sector to build capability by increasing skills and productivity. We administer occupational licensing for people who work in the building and electrical industry, to ensure they are competent and accountable, so homes and buildings are designed and built right the first time. We also check how local authorities are applying building standards through the building consent process.
- Business Strategy and Support Services works in partnership with the other branches, giving business support in the form of professional services and advice. We also ensure the Department meets legal and accountability requirements.
Our people are spread across the Wellington-based national office, Porirua-based Contact Centre, and regional offices throughout the country from Invercargill to Whangarei.
How to contact us
Our Contact Centre provides a comprehensive service for people with queries about building, weathertightness, housing and tenancy matters. When calling us, a Contact Centre adviser will answer your query, or direct you to the staff member who is best able to help. Contact us.
Please refer to our media assistance page for contact details and other useful information.