BC Update: No.98 - BRANZ seminars on getting alternative solutions consented
BRANZ survey research and helpdesk inquiries have revealed that designers and building consent authority staff need to clearly understand the range of options available to show Building Code compliance for solutions that are outside the scope of the Compliance Documents.
While the research was specific to renovation projects, a number of designers interviewed said obtaining approval for Alternative Solutions for all types of projects is one of their biggest causes of frustration. The reason is that the designer and the Building Consent Authority (BCA) officials are often unsure of how to approach the submission and assessment of Alternative Solutions.
In May, BRANZ is running eight nationwide seminars on compliance paths for consenting Alternative Solutions that will address:
- what constitutes an Alternative Solution: in effect, almost all consents are in part Alternative Solutions
- how compliance can be demonstrated: what are the paths to follow, and options for presenting an Alternative Solution to the BCA
- the level of detail and supporting information required
- the use of testing, comparison with Acceptable Solutions, expert opinion, product certification and producer statements in support of Building Code compliance
- options to follow when using past in-service history to show compliance with Building Code requirements.
Having designers and BCA officers understand the same rationales for dealing with Alternative Solutions should significantly ease the concerns raised.
A must for designers, architects, and BCA officials
- Greg Burn, NZCD (Arch) – Building Consultant, Structure Limited
- Des Molloy – Building Consultant (BRANZ Builder’s Mate ‘Old Geezer’)
Seminar ONLY $85.00
Times and location
- Monday 4 May - Dunedin, Otago Museum
- Tuesday 5 May - Queenstown, Copthorne Hotel & Resort
- Wednesday 6 May - Christchurch, The Heritage Hotel
- Thursday 7 May - Wellington, Wellington Town Hall
- Monday 11 May - Auckland, The Heritage Hotel
- Tuesday 12 May - Hamilton, The Waikato Stadium
- Wednesday 13 May - Tauranga, Hotel Armitage
- Thursday 14 May - Palmerston North, The Coachman Hotel
Register online at www.branz.co.nz and go to seminars; or email: SeminarRegistrations@branz.co.nz