Get a copy of the Building Act
There are several ways you can get a copy of the Building Act 2004 and Building Amendment Act 2005.
Read the Act online or download a PDF copy
Download the Building Act 2004 from the New Zealand legislation website
Key features of the Building Act are:
- licensing for builder practitioners
- review of the Building Code
- certification of proprietary building products
- accreditation and registration of building consent authorities
- new provisions around building consents and inspections.
Building Amendment Act 2008
Amendments to the Building Act 2008 were passed into law in April 2008.
The Building Act 2004 - a summary [PDF 128 KB, 2 pages]
This brochure provides a concise overview of the Act’s key changes and timings.
Buy a print copy
Buy a printed copy online, or from a bookseller such as Vicbooks or Bennetts Government Bookshop.